Friday 7 December 2012

Strawberry cupcakes with strawberry SMBC

Strawberry cupcakes with strawberry SMBC

I was flipping Martha Stewart's Cupcakes book when I saw the strawberry cupcake recipe. I wonder how it worked, so I searched online for reviews. I found this one from Brown Eyed Baker who was so excited about the final result (and she has lovely photographs!). I immediately was tempted to try.

Then, last week my friends and I were driving through Bedugul in central Bali when my friends spotted some fresh strawberries on sale. Since I had wanted to try Martha Stewart's recipe on strawberry cupcake, I bought some fresh strawberries. Two days later, I baked a big batch of strawberry cupcakes with strawberry Swiss meringue buttercream. It was a total hit! My Australian friend said that this cupcake was the best he'd ever tried. A friend who live in France (and is visiting Bali now) tried it and even took care to eat the remnants of the crumbles sticking on the paper cup. He is a baker himself, so I take that as a compliment! My other friends said that these cupcakes were the best they ever tried. It was more delicious than the cupcakes in local bakeries here (and we have lots of great bakeries in Bali!).



In short, the strawberry cupcake recipe was a big success. Apparently, Brown Eyed Baker was correct about how amazing this recipe was. I was impressed myself with how the cupcake turned out. It was totally moist and fluffly, not overly sweet and too filling. It was just the right cupcake.

So anyway, below is the recipe for Strawberry cupcakes with strawberry Swiss meringue buttercream. Enjoy!


For the cupcake:



2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (220 grams) unsalted butter, softened
2 ¼ cups (560 grams) sugar
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large whole eggs
1 egg white
1 cup milk
2 cups (20 pieces) finely chopped fresh strawberries (cover evenly with flour to prevent them from sinking in the batter)

1. Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Mix dry ingredients together.
2. Cream with medium-high butter, sugar, vanilla until pale and fully. Add whole eggs and egg white, one at a time, beat well
3. Lower speed, add flour mixture in two batches, alternating with milk.
4. Fold in chopped strawberries.
5. Bake for 25-30 min. Use strawberry Swiss meringue buttercream for frosting. 

The strawberry cupcakes fresh from the oven (background was my partner's freshly made bread)


Strawberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream:

1½ cups fresh strawberries (340 grams), rinsed, pureed
4 egg whites
1¼ cups granulated sugar
1½ cups unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons, at room temperature

Follow the steps to make Swiss meringue buttercream here. After adding the butter, add pureed strawberries. Beat at low speed, increasing to medium, until incorporated. If curdled, keep on beating. Or heat the heat-proof bowl over a pan of shimmering water, and beat again after it is warm. Trust me; this frosting is DIVINE!

No comments: