Saturday 24 September 2016

Baigan and bhindi masala

I forgot to take a photo cos the dish tasted so good, hence the bad photo.
Will change the photo when I make the dish again and I remember to take photo!

This recipe is using my two favourite vegetables: eggplant (brinjal/baigan) and okra (bhindi). Original recipe from Yummy Tummy Aarthi.com, I alter it quite a bit and I also omit water, but since I used her spice suggestions, I still put her link here. I've experimented with several baigan masala recipe before, but it never really got close to the baigan masala that I love from Bayleaf/Mint in Townsville. This one though is good enough for me to be proud as the chef!

Ingredients

1 large brinjal/baigan/eggplant, chop small
A handful of bhindi/okra, sliced

4 tbsp ghee

1 tsp black mustard seeds
1 bayleaf
5-6 curry leaves

1 onion chopped
Green chili chopped


1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp garam masala

1 tbsp garlic ginger paste
2 tomatoes, sliced

Chopped coriander leaves for garnish 


How to make:
  1. Season and oil chopped eggplant and grill it for 10 min at 200C. Once golden brown, take it out and fry it with 1 tbsp of ghee. Set aside
  2. Fry the sliced bhindi with 1 tbsp of ghee in low heat. Set aside
  3. Heat up 2 tbsp of ghee, fry mustard seeds until it pops
  4. Immediately, sautee the sliced onion until golden brown in medium heat
  5. Add bayleaf, curry leaves and green chilli, sautee till fragrant in medium heat
  6. Add the dry spices in low heat, stir until incorporated
  7. Add garlic ginger paste, stir until fragrant
  8. Add tomatoes, increase heat to medium, mix it and cover. Stir it every now and then until the oil has separated from the mixture and the tomatoes are dissolved
  9. Add grilled-fried eggplant and fried bhindi, mix and cover for about 10 min, then lower the temperature, keep the lid on
  10. The dish is ready when most liquid has been absorbed and it’s semi dried
  11. Sprinkle with chopped coriander leaves
  12. Enjoy with basmati rice or quinoa




No comments: