Tuesday 20 November 2012

TNK Interview: Okada Masaki could not play Yoritomo without Anne


Okada Masaki (forgot where I got this from...)

Below is my translation of the article in Cinema Today Japan on 18 November 2012. I used Google Translator for word-to-word meaning and common sense (a huge dose of it) for general meaning to understand the article, so please forgive me for the (many many) mistakes I surely make...


Okada Masaki could not play Yoritomo without Anne


Okada Masaki (the narrator of the currently-airing Taiga Drama ‘Taira no Kiyomori’ and the actor who portrayed the Genji leader Minamoto no Yoritomo) talked about his perception of an ideal couple.

The captivating series that shows a distinctive rendition of the life of Taira no Kiyomori is coming to an end. The story will now focus on Yoritomo raising an army and the destruction of the Taira. Okada, who was responsible for the narration from the first episode, said that he was totally taken by the Heike’s strength. “I think this is the story of a strong person. I think a person like that will also have a brighter future in the modern Japan. I have become a big fan of Kiyomori; until the shooting in July, I was a total Heike.”

Also, Okada had a strong impression towards Matsuyama Kenichi who played Taira no Kiyomori, “Kiyomori is a super human. The energy of Matsuyama Kenichi who played Kiyomori was also amazing. His strength is growing over time rapidly to mimic his father’s. The only Kiyomori to me is Mr Matsuyama’s.” However, there is no scene between the grown up Yoritomo with Kiyomori. “As Yoritomo, I’d like to at least have one interaction with Matsuyama-san’s Kiyomori. ‘You two are never to meet,’ so I was once told. I thought I would meet him, but it was not to be the case. I thought, ‘Why can’t I meet him?!’”.

Played by Okada Masaki, this Yoritomo would live a life of seclusion in Izu, a foreign, unreliable place somewhere. “But I thought Yoritomo was supposed to be a strong leader. So I thought, but it seems not to be the case this time.” He laughed to himself, “Tsukamoto Takashi (who played Tō-Kuro) always said that [Yoritomo] looked like a grandpa (an old person).”

However, it was Masako who would later transform Yoritomo. Yoritomo with his ‘everything remains the same’ and Masako with ‘let’s change the future’ tried to understand each other despite their opposing nature. Eventually, their complimentary nature enhanced each other. "Their relationship is of an ideal couple," said Okada. 

Okada Masaki and Watanabe Anne during their first 'Taira no Kiyomori' press conference


Okada said that scenes with Masako always made his heart tremble. ‘I kept staring and couldn’t look away. Such was the power of those scenes,’ he added. The relationship between Masako and Yoritomo had an impact on Okada’s relationship with (Watanabe) Anne. “Whenever we meet, I received something from her. For instance, once we bought a Yukari Yoritomo amulet from the Izusan Shrine for me. ‘This is fine. Stand up’ [said Anne]. Up till now, I still cherish the amulet I put inside my wallet,” Okada said with a smile. 

The way Yoritomo could not establish the Kamakura shogunate without Masako’s presence, Okada could do worse without Anne’s presence. “I’d like to explore possible future stories with her.”

NHK Taiga drama ‘Taira no Kiyomori’ is being broadcasted on Sunday (Tokyo time) at 8pm.

-xxx-


Below is the original article:

岡田将生、杏なくして頼朝は演じられない!

[シネマトゥデイ映画ニュース] 現在放送中の大河ドラマ「平清盛」で、源氏の棟梁(とうりょう)・源頼朝を演じ、ナレーションも務めた岡田将生が、理想の夫婦像について語った。
 リアリティーを追求した独特の演出で話題をさらった「平清盛」も、いよいよ終盤。物語は頼朝の挙兵、そして平家の滅亡に向けて一気に動いていく。 1話からナレーションを担当し、その全てを観てきた岡田は「力強い人たちの話だと思います。今の日本にもそういう人たちがいれば明るい未来が待っている のかなと思う。僕自身が清盛の大ファンになってしまって、7月の本格的な撮影に入るまでは完全に平家寄りでした」と平家の力強さに胸を打たれたことを明か す。
 そして、平清盛を演じる松山ケンイチについても、「清盛は人間を超えていますよね。そして、それを演じる松山さんの熱量もすごい。回を追うごとに 力強さが増していくし、どんどん父親の顔になっていく。清盛は松山さんしか考えられない」と強い感情を抱いていることを明かした。しかし、大人になった頼 朝と清盛が対面するシーンはなく、「頼朝として、松山さんが演じる清盛と一度でいいから会ってみたい。『お会いすることはない』と言われていたけど、『な んで会わせてくれないんだ!?』と思っちゃう」と悔しがった。
 そんな岡田が演じる頼朝は、伊豆で隠遁生活を送っているということもあり、どこか頼りなく、陰のある人物として描かれている。岡田自身も「頼朝と いえば力強いリーダーだと思っていたんですけど、僕を選んだという時点でそうではないんだろうなと予測はしていました。(藤九郎役の)塚本高史さんからも 『おじいちゃんみたい』とずっと言われています」と笑う。
 しかし、そんな頼朝を政子が変えていく。「変えられない」と思っている頼朝に、政子は「変えていこう」と言い、正反対の性格でありながらも互いを 理解し、補い合い、高め合っていく。そんな二人の関係を、岡田は「理想の夫婦だと思います。ああやって支えて背中を押してくれる女性ってすごくいいなと思 いますし、自分の姿、置かれている状況をすべて見せられる頼朝も男だなと思います」と語り、頼朝が惹(ひ)かれた政子の魅力を「前を見据えているところが いいですよね。僕自身、頼朝を演じていてそこに思わず寄り掛かってしまう。あと、まだ大人になりきれていない女性の魅力もあると思います。考えすぎると一 歩を踏み出せないときがありますが、政子にはそれがない。そこに惹(ひ)かれたんじゃないかと」と分析した。
 政子とのシーンには「心が震える」といい、政子を演じる杏についても「杏さんに見つめられると目を離すことができないんです。それぐらい力強い」 と語った岡田。政子と頼朝の関係は杏との関係にもそのまま通じるところがあるそうで、「毎回、お会いするたびに何かもらっているんです。この間も、(頼朝 ゆかりの)伊豆山神社のお守りを買ってきてくれて、『これで大丈夫。立ち上がれる』と。今も大事に財布にしまっています」と笑顔を見せた。政子の存在なく して鎌倉幕府の樹立を語れない頼朝のように、岡田にとっても杏の存在は大きい様子。頼朝と政子の関係が、今後の物語にどう関わっていくのかぜひ注目してほ しい。(取材・文:小島弥央)
NHK大河ドラマ「平清盛」は毎週日曜・午後8時よりNHK総合にて放送中

No comments: