Thursday 5 May 2016

Stir-fried okra Chinese style

This was my lunch today

I love simple dishes. They are easy to make, yet always manage to warm my heart and hearth. Nigella Lawson's mushroom, garlic, thyme and lemon pasta is one of them. Or just a simple spaghetti with lightly-coated pomodoro sauce (I haven't nailed the perfect sauce yet, but I will, one day). Or, when I want a touch of Orient, the stir-fried okra Chinese style.

Okra is a vegetable that you either hate or love. I'm in the love team, and I love the Indian-style okra (bhindi masala, they call it). Recently, I tried the Chinese style okra as well, and I love it too. The recipe below is not mine; it's from The Big Fat Noodle. I love it so much tho that I decide to copy it here, so it's easier if I want to check the ingredients before cooking it. Instead of eating it with onion rice, this afternoon I opted for brown rice and quinoa. Love it!




Stir-fried okra, Chinese style (adapted from the Big Fat Noodle):

200 grams okra, sliced thinly

½ teaspoon of minced/pounded fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced/pounded or finely chopped
2 teaspoons soy sauce
½ teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon vegetable or groundnut oil
1 red chili (my addition, de-seed if you'd like)
White pepper
Mix the soy sauce and sugar in a dish and set aside.


In a wok or fry pan, heat your oil and then stir fry your minced ginger, chili, and garlic until the garlic starts turning golden. Add your okra and stir fry for about a minute, constantly tossing the okra. Pour in your soy sauce mixture and keep stir frying for 2-3 minutes. The sauce will evaporate and the okra will start to caramelise. If you like your okra soft, stir fry for another minute before serving. Season with some white pepper.

2 comments:

Dian Latifah said...

yummy.. miss u..

Icha said...

Thank you Diaaaaaann!!!